Sport Premium Funding
At The Bishops' C of E Learning Academy, we recognise the value of PE and competitive sport to the physical fitness, health and well-being of the whole school community. We believe that an innovative, varied PE curriculum and extra-curricular opportunities have a huge, positive influence on the concentration, attitude and academic achievement of all our children.
Our Primary School Sport’s Funding will enable us to continue and extend our provision in a number of ways. These include employing additional sports professionals and offering greater sporting opportunities. We will develop fundamental movement in sporting literacy and provide training to ensure our staff delivers high quality PE sessions.
Click here for the Department of Education link to the Primary School’s Sports Funding page.
What is the Sports Premium?
- The funding is being jointly provided by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport, and will see money going directly to primary school.
- Headteachers are to spend the premium on improving the quality of sport and PE for all their children. Each school will receive £16000 plus an extra £10 per pupil each year for the next two years. At The Bishops' C of E Learning Academy that will mean approximately £19,000 a year.
- The money can only be spent on improving sport, building sustainability and PE provision in schools.
Purpose of the funding
Schools/Academies must spend the sport funding on improving the provision of PE and sport, but they have the freedom to choose how they do this.
Possible uses of the funding include:
- Hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work alongside primary teachers when teaching PE and up skilling existing staff.
- New or additional Change4Life sport clubs.
- Paying for professional development opportunities in PE/sport.
- Providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE/sport.
- Running sport competitions, or increasing participation in the school games.
- Buying quality assured professional development modules or material for PE/sport.
- Providing places for pupils on after school sport clubs and residential visits.
How will we be spending the PE & Sports Funding and who will benefit?
The Trustees of Kernow Learning agree that the money for The Bishops' C of E Learning Academy must be used so that:
- all children benefit regardless of sporting ability;
- All pupils are given the chance to participate against others of a similar ability and potential in a range of disciplines
- staff have access to training opportunities and continued professional development.
Funding will be used to improve confidence amongst staff in the delivery of high quality PE lessons across the school. We feel that this is the most effective and efficient way for the funding to have a long lasting and positive effect on future learning and physical development of children within our school.
PE Subject Leader